Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What Story are Your Pictures Telling?


If a picture is worth a thousand words, what story are your pictures telling?



One of the things I've learned in the last couple of months is that I've placed way to much value on remembering what things look like. We went to Sea World shortly after moving back to Georgia and I took a ton of pictures of the scenery and the shows and just utter nonsense and not enough pictures of the people I was with in those scenes.


It’s painful to look back at pictures where we were together as a family and see that there is an awful lot of photos of things that I could have just as easily remembered with one photo but not many of the people I love. Nor am I in hardly any of the photos that I have. I am sure that when we have been with extended family that I am in more but I have been ashamed of my weight so I shy away from being in pictures. My sister though, she may have been ashamed of her weight but there are plenty of pictures of her with people, even at her heaviest.

I am going to attempt to be more like her and actually be in the picture instead of on the outside looking in. I want my family to have lots to remember me by when I am gone and I want to have many photos to remember my family by when they go.

Last night as I was going to sleep a thought came to me and I think I’m going to make a serious effort to do it. I want to do a memory a day on the blog. Some short memory about my sister each day for at least the next 90 days. Maybe I’ll throw in some memories about other people or things while I’m at it. I want to be intentional about grasping these memories as they come of my sister because time fades our memories. I want to have a record to look back on over the years, and I’d like to have something for the kids to look back at as well. I think I’m going to suggest this to my ex-brother-in-law. Maybe as the boys talk about their Mom he can write down their memories in a memory book for them so they always have it. He could also do this as memories of their life together come to him as a record for the boys.