Monday, July 25, 2011

Sleepless Nights


"O Sleep, O Gentle Sleep, Natures Soft Nurse, How Have I Frightend Thee, That Thou No More Wilt Weigh my Eye-Lids Down And Steep My Senses In Forgetfulness?" William Shakespeare

I'm beginning to wonder what a good nights sleep feels like. Is it that my body trying to prepare me for what it thinks is to come? Yes, I understand that there will be a new baby in the house very soon but MY body does not need to prepare for this as I will NOT be the one getting up in the middle of the night with her. That will be my daughters job. Thankfully I'm just the grandmother this time around.


Which brings up an interesting topic. This little granddaughter of mine could be born any day now and I don't have a clue what I want to be called and neither does my husband! Oh what a quandary we are in. All the good names are taken in my family. There's my mom who is Meme to my kids. There is my Mema. There is Tim's mom who is Grandma. I have also have a Grandma Vera and a Granny Miles. I'm not opposed to being called Grandma and truth be told, that's what I imagine her calling me however, she already has a Grandma. Josh (her father), his mom is Grandma already. Oh and don't suggest Grandma so and so cause I'm just not down with that! Grandma Brandi or Grandma Simon just doesn't sound right. I'm also not down with some of the more modern titles like GMa. NO! I don't want a name like YaYa either.

I'm embracing this new phase in my life and I have no problems with the fact that I'm a very young grandparent. People are going to look at me weird anyway because I have a five year old and a granddaughter. Oh the joys of having children spaced far apart. lol I'm aging gracefully ;)

It's no wonder that my body is restless. A new addition to the family is coming. We're getting ready for a PCS (moving to a new Army post). We've got a legal matter looming large. My husband has some medical issues we're trying to get worked out. The best thing I can do now is to make the most of my sleepless time and just go with the flow. Eventually my body won't have a choice but to quiet down and sleep. I just hope it's not when my daughter goes into labor!