Monday, May 9, 2011

Are You a Runner?

Are you a runner? I'm sure not! That wasn't always the case though. I remember loving to run in elementary school. I specifically remember the exhilaration I felt at winning some little sprint against some boys during a race on field day. I think I must have been in fourth grade then and if I remember correctly I was legs, legs, legs. Long, lanky legs.


At some point over the years my enjoyment in running or even walking for that matter dwindled. I can remember in middle school having to walk around the track at Wilder Middle School in Savannah six times to complete our physical fitness tests and how much I hated it! I couldn't run and I would get a terrible stitch in my side even just from walking. This must have been in what, seventh grade.

So sometime in a three year span I went from having an enjoyment of running to loathing it and that's exactly where I have stayed since then. I loath it..... but I do have good reason to now.

Back in 2002 my husband was out of the Army and I was going to go into the Army. I went as far as to actually go to MEPS to ship out and then backed out before the final swearing in. They released me from the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) contract and I was FREE. Most of the reason I backed out was because I had two small children, one who would start kindergarten while I was at basic and when I got down there that evening I couldn't figure out why in the world I ever thought it was a good idea for ME to be away from MY kids.

I'm off the subject now though.... So in preparation for shipping out to basic I had my husband try to help me get used to running. I soon realized that something was wrong aside from the terrible shin splints I kept getting. My calves were cramping up something fierce after only running for a minute or two. I could not run through the pain and it would take a good 15 minutes for them to stop hurting, no matter what I did to alleviate the problem.

Now it's even worse, my legs do that when I do a brisk walk as well. It's a horrible affliction to live with! My Mother has the same problem. Is it genetic or is it simply because our bodies are not used to using that muscle in that way. I don't know but I can tell you that my Mom has extremely large calves (she might be upset with me for saying that but it's true) and I think they said she might have a connective tissue disorder (could be mistaken on that front though as it's been years since we talked about that).

Today I ran, not far but I ran. I also walked around the block, although not at a brisk pace as it's kind of difficult to do when you're training a dog on a leash, but I walked. It didn't kill me! Now I have hope. Maybe just maybe my husband knows something after all and it's all been in relation to my hydration since I KNOW I'm hydrated now cause I've been drinking tons of water.

Anyway, I'm going to try to do the Couch to 5K program. I really want to run gosh darn it and I'm tired of my body acting stupid! I'm sure I'll be posting up some whines in coming weeks. You just wait till I get my first shin splint, ha ha!