Monday, April 4, 2011

The Waiting Game

Our life has become all about waiting. ::sigh:: I know, I know, I should just be happy that as of this second my husband is not deploying with his unit but I'm just not.

First of all he extended (with my blessing) specifically to deploy with his unit. Then he starts having health problems that land him on the non-deployable list. OK, so what is going to happen to us now?


With us being stationed in Alaska things are different. He extended so they changed his DEROS date. ::sigh:: Now what? Try to get the extension reversed since he's not actually deploying. When If they cancel the extension and reverse the date back to original we only have a couple of months till the date comes up. Oh and did I mention that my oldest is pregnant and that the doctors have advised that by regulation she can't travel past 35 weeks and that date is a couple of weeks before our original DEROS date?

A good friends asked me how I'm holding up. As well as I can. I try not to obsess about it because this is the Army after all and ANYTHING can happen :).  My Mom kept asking if we knew anything and I finally had to just tell her that when I find out anything she'll be the first to know. I check once a day, yes even on weekends. Like anyone is going to update it on the weekend. ha ha I have a sinking feeling every time I look and the date hasn't changed and then there is no assignment listed.

I'm ready to get on with things. Either we stay or we go, either he deploys or he doesn't... just a definitive answer. That's all I ask. Right now ANY answer would be welcomed, even if I don't like the answer.

I'm not even holding my breath about the deployment. When talking to our youngest the other day I just couldn't bring myself to tell her that her Daddy isn't deploying like all her friends Daddies because I just can't believe it myself. I've said time and time again that I won't believe it until the last plane leaves and he's not on it and even then I will be guarded. How about this, once we PCS from here then maybe I'll believe he isn't deploying with THIS unit.

My heart is breaking for all the families here that will embark on this lonely journey soon. For many this is a first and others are seasoned. Don't let that fool you though.... it's hard even for the most seasoned Army Wife.