Sunday, January 23, 2011

What a Reality Check!

Does MY life revolve around food? That's a loaded question but it's the first thing that popped into my head when I read tonight in Made to Crave that Lysa's life was arranged too much around food. I had to take a step back and really look at what my life is like in order to answer that question.



The answer is a very clear YES! You would think that being in the interior of Alaska would make it easier on you since our dining out choices are limited but really it's not. We are bombarded with advertisements on the local cable station for choices that are far beyond our reach. This helps create that deep longing for a particular food. I've often wondered WHY the companies choose to spend their advertising dollars on ads coming to a location that isn't even remotely near them. Do they honestly think I'm going to hop into my car and drive 350+ miles to get some of that yummy delicious Arby's or TGI Fridays? Actually when I was last pregnant we didn't have a TGI Fridays near us and it's what I craved the most. If I had of the money I would have traveled two hours to get to the closest one :).

I wouldn't drive a couple hundred miles away for some food, but... it does make me want it that much more. So much so that in planning for our vacation home that is quickly approaching I find myself getting really excited about the foods I will get to enjoy. Now don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see family but I start a conversation with someone not about getting to see my family, what I talk about is what FOOD I'm going to eat. If I eat like I have said I'm going to eat then I will come home 20 pounds heavier.

This past week I made a menu for us, mainly because I've put us on a tight budget so we have more spending money when we go home. I found out a number of things about myself and my family because of this menu. First is that my family will actually stick to it. They want a snack, I tell them to look at them to look at the menu and usually they are OK with what is listed (except for the oldest). The little one actually asks what's on the menu when she gets up in the morning! I'm loving that one! The second thing that I learned is that I can cook based on what's on the menu instead of what I "feel" like having for dinner/lunch/breakfast that day. It also helps me to prepare. I can't tell you how many times I said we were going to have bean soup for lunch but then couldn't because I forgot to soak the beans overnight. Now that isn't an issue. I just look at the menu and know if I need to prep the night before or if I can just do it all the next day. I have had to rearrange some stuff because I didn't plan on certain things like I ran out of honey so I couldn't make the honey wheat rolls that my family likes so I took a meal from another day for that one! There's great flexibility!! It's also great to know that we will not run out of food before payday hits. I can't tell you how many times that has happened! Where I didn't buy enough meals to last us that day or two in the pay period. UGH! It's really sucks making something edible from the odds and ends in the freezer and pantry.

The most important thing is that we don't have to be controlled with our food! I can eat something that I don't really feel like eating because eating isn't supposed to be about my emotions. It's about the sustainment of my body.

I know that on first glance this doesn't reveal anything about how this will help me get closer to God but really it is! Finally coming to an understanding that food wasn't put here to make me happy releases me to really focus on Him!