Friday, July 9, 2010

A New Desire

I am happy to report that I am through Genesis! I am ashamed to admit that this is the first time I've ever read the entire book. Last night I decided to read today's assigned reading, or rather I decided to read some of it. I sat down and started to read and then couldn't put the phone down - I have an application on my phone that has the reading plan in it along with the correct version of the Bible. I ended up reading all the way through today's reading last night.

I always heard people talk about how the Bible is like a novel but my experience hadn't been like that at all. I was never engrossed in it and the little I did try to read just did not hold my attention at all. Really I guess it's more the Old Testament that didn't hold my attention because I've read much of the New Testament when I was a teenager.

I've heard all the stories before and watched plenty of movies about the events that are covered in Genesis but it was very different actually reading about it all. One thing that stuck with me last night was that God made some huge promises about the blessings he would give to the people but they went through many troubling situations before many of those blessings were realized.

It's very similar to the troubling times we endure. In my own life I have experienced untold pain but I have held on to the hope that God would turn the bad things into something good, if not for me then for someone else. I have always felt this pull towards missions. I'm not saying I want to be a missionary in a foreign land but there has always been that thought in the mind and a pulling at my heart anytime I think of missions.

The Pastor from my old church has moved his family to Colorado to plant a new church. I am so excited for them. I don't feel like I'm being called to plant a church with my husband but that is just an example of doing something for our own people. It may very well be that I am just being called to be an active participant of my church, or to share myself on this blog, or any other number of things. I really don't know yet, but I know that the things I have gone through will be used to further His Kingdom. I'm just waiting patiently for Him to show me what He wants me to do.

For now I am going to school. My major is in social work but after I use this scholarship money I plan on changing my major. It will be religious in nature, I have felt led to do that. I think that He is preparing me for something and like I said, I'm just waiting patiently for Him to reveal that to me.

1 comment:

Forever Neighbor said...

Outstanding! Love it! I truly believe that the Bible is like a novel, and has many climax moments. I have had many moments of not wanting to put the Bible down because I have to see what happens next. I believe that I need to know the OT just as much as the NT because both support each other. I am thinking that when the men leave that I will be holding a Bible study; "The Power of the Praying Wife". I figured it will help us stay with Him and to focus more on Him. Great Post! Your posts are always so refreshing :)

Post a Comment