Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bible in 90 Days Check-In

Ok, I admit it, I was 5 days behind in my reading on Friday. I've done A LOT of reading since then and I'm almost caught up. Now I'm just a day behind.

It's been an interesting read this last week. As I'm reading about the Israelites circling the city once a day for 6 days and then 7 times on the 7th day, I am actually amazed that they followed that instruction. What would I have done? Without a doubt I would have questioned it. I would have been like, and you want me to do that why? That makes no sense to me. Why in the world would I have to do such a foolish thing, can't you just let us go in and take the city now?



I mean really, just how many of us can honestly say that we would follow someone who tells us to do something crazy like that? Do you think the people followed without question or grumbling? I don't. I can picture in my head the people saying the exact same thing that I thought. WHY must we do this.....

That must have been one heck of a test of their faith and I'm sure that it taught them quite the lesson, even though it obviously didn't stick through the generations.....

Other interesting thoughts while I was reading this week.....

Samson. All the stories I've ever heard told of basically his seduction by a beautiful woman, Delilah, being his downfall. How refreshing to know that it was actually the nagging of Delilah that caused him to finally reveal the truth to her. Oh I'm sure that there was some seduction in the mix but the scripture clearly states that she pestered him daily to get him to reveal that information. No matter how you package it, it's still nagging. The one thought that went through my mind when I read that was that when my husband tells me no about something, maybe I should just let it be and not try to convince him otherwise. I know full well that Delilah did not have good intentions in her nagging but all the same, the Lord spoke to me through that verse in a totally different way.

Well, those were the lessons that I needed to learn anyway.

For more information on the Bible in 90 Days Challenge head on over to Mom's Toolbox