Monday, June 14, 2010

Avenging ourselves

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave the way open for [God's] wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay (requite), says the Lord. But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head. Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome (master) evil with good..... Romans 12:19-21 AMP

Today was a very big struggle for me as I'm sure the coming few days will be. My family was recently wronged and I have had a few moments of losing my temper and lashing out at the person who did the wronging but today took the cake. You know, I don't even know why I am speaking in circles here, it made the news and will soon be national news as some larger websites have picked up on it.

About six months ago my sisters husband decided that the problems in their marriage were totally my sisters fault. Long story short she moved out and he moved out and they split the marital property but are not yet divorced, they haven't even filed yet. For a long time my sister held out hope that they would be able to work things out. Then my brother in law shattered any hopes she may have still had by "coming out of the closet" approximately three months ago.

I'm sure you can imagine her reaction. Not only had he betrayed her while they were still together, but he had left her and attempted to blame her for every one of his problems, but now she also has to deal with the stigma she felt was placed on her by his being gay. I guess that may be one of the ultimate betrayals. Something like this affects everyone in the family. My children have had to deal with it. I've had to deal with it. My brother in law who I loved as if he were my own decided to ignore me because I spoke out against his choices. I reacted in anger but a little while later I calmed down and started putting my sister before my own anger towards Kieran, my brother in law.

That changed today. When I woke up and got on facebook I was not prepared for what awaited me. There on Kierans page was a link to a news article stating that he had been attacked! I really only have the details that he provided but according to the news story two Marines were involved in an altercation with him and one of the Marines hit Kieran in the head as he tried to walk away. At first I was furious at the Marines who did this. I still am. Nobody, no matter what they did deserves to be treated that way!

However, I started looking at the comments that people were posting on the news article and was tempted to post my own. I was good though, I kept my cool. That is until I saw that a group had been created for Kieran by his friends to rally their support. This just really upset me! In my mind what happened to Kieran could have been prevented if he had acted in an appropriate manner to begin with. He should never have even been in that situation right now because he is still married. My issues are not with this decision that he is gay (before anyone starts saying that I'm hating on him). My issues are purely that people think he is some upstanding person who has done no wrong and that is just not the case.

I decided that I should take matters in my own hands today and I posted some very rude remarks on the newspaper website. They certainly made me feel better when I wrote them but as the day has wore on I have become increasingly disappointed in myself. I didn't allow the Lord to handle Kieran. For that I am truly repentant.

I hope that you will all keep my soon to be ex-brother in law in your prayers. He has chosen a very difficult road to walk and I am truly afraid for my young nephews. Kieran has chosen an activist lifestyle at odds with many people and has placed himself right dab in the middle of the extremist "gay agenda". I only say that because the methods his friends are using are on the extreme side. I am very concerned for his safety as being an activist can be very dangerous. I pray that we will all remember the verse above in both our speech and our actions. No one is above sin.

Please refrain from posting comments that could be considered hateful. Do not let your beliefs convince you that it's OK for you to speak out in a hateful manner or judge someone.

Also, please understand that I do not have ALL of the facts surrounding the case against the Marines nor do I have all the facts of the marriage between my sister and Kieran.